Specimens for Slide Preparation Only (Histology)
Submitting specimens to Western Pathology Consultants (WPC)
The following instructions apply to specimens for which the submitting physician intends to provide a diagnostic interpretation. WPC will perform slide preparation. Consultation is available from Western Pathology Consultants upon request.
- Minimum standards must be met for the laboratory to accept a specimen.
- Upon removal from the patient, the specimen should be placed immediately in a container with 10 percent Formalin.
- The specimen container must be labeled with the Patient Name, Patient Date of Birth, Physician's Name, Date of Collection, and Specimen Type.
- The container must be leak proof with a firm-fitting lid to avoid exposure to biohazardous material. Place in a plastic specimen bag to further contain unexpected leaks.
- A properly completed requisition form must accompany the specimen and the information provided must match the information on the container.
- The pathology specimen requisition slip should include the following information:
- Date (and time, if relevant) of collection
- Submitting physician name
- Patient name
- Specimen source
- Physician assigned pathology accession number
- Special instructions when appropriate
- Transport to WPC via courier or other means as appropriate.
- WPC will provide supplies required to submit specimens to the lab.